Wednesday, December 6, 2023

A24, The Not So Indie Anymore Production Company Behind Some of Best Films of the Decade

A24 is an American independent entertainment company that has quickly become a mainstream name in the film industry. Known for contemporary horror and arthouse films, it unfortunately gets branded often as the studio behind the “hipsters film bros’” favorite films you roll your eyes to. Not to say there aren’t some overrated films in the A24 catalog, but you can’t deny the long list of exceptional films. Their recent dominance at every major award show backs that up.

There’s something about A24 movies that really stick with you. Every single film by them I have seen is so visually distinct, emotionally provocative, and takes time to sink in. In an age of Hollywood filled with reboots, remakes, and overdone concepts, it is refreshing to watch fresh voices get their shot. Although I have to mention that I thought Midsommar was so disturbing. I still shutter thinking about it.


They built the company with two basic principles in mind:

  1. Give directors complete freedom, spend majority of budget here making their vision come to life

  2. Use cheaper, less traditional, viral forms of marketing and word of mouth, spending less


It seems like everyone both knows and appreciates some of their big films such as Moonlight, Hereditary, Ladybird. All of these have seen critical acclaim. Their highest grossing film, Everything Everywhere All At Once dominated the 2023 Oscars, earning seven awards. A lot of people don’t know that A24 also produces television shows, one of which is the mega hit Euphoria

A24 also got a lot of attention this year amid the WGA and SAG-AFTRA writers’ strike. Since all A24 projects are independent productions, they were able to acquire waivers and continue working and promoting their movies.

Not every A24 project is an A24 production, sometimes it’s just for distribution. The company sees a project that needs funding help to get out into the world, so they buy the rights, then market it and make connections with theaters and streaming so people can watch it. From 2012-2016 A24 was solely a distribution company. It’s much cheaper to start out this way than as a production company. After establishing themselves as a legit distributor, with successes including Oscar Winning Room, and Amy, they produced their first film. Moonlight went on to win Best Picture at the 2017 Oscars. 


If you’re new to A24, here are my 5 favorites you have to see:

  1. Close

Close is a Belgian coming of age story about friendship and the ways in which societal pressure gets in the way. You can read exactly what the characters are thinking even in the silent parts.  It's an outstanding movie I think everyone should see at least once. I’m giving you a warning ahead of time okay? I was crying for a majority of this movie.

  1. Mid 90s

Set in LA in the mid 90s, this is Jonah Hill’s coming of age directorial debut based on his own childhood. It’s centered around skateboarding but the real themes are all about finding your group of friends and chosen family. 

  1. Aftersun

Aftersun follows a father daughter vacation through old camcorder footage. What an insane directorial debut. I can’t wait to see what Charlotte Wells does next. Again, please prepare yourself, I will never be the same after this one. It's a wholesome, raw, gut wrenching story. 

  1. Pearl

For horror fans, Pearl is dark, gorey, and quirky.  It can be really funny if you go into it with that mindset. She is the source of the iconic memes “Please I’m a starrrrrr” and “I’m married!”. In 2022, A24 released both X and then Pearl as the prequel. MaXXXine will complete the horror trilogy in 2024. 

  1. Waves

Waves is visually stunning. I love how the story is split into two parts. Halfway through the story, the narrator changes. The story is centered around family, anger, loss, growth, and forgiveness.

I remember exactly where I was seeing each film, and the aftermath. All of them took a toll on me, but left me inspired. Aftersun for example, I watched one night at 2 am alone on my couch over summer and I sat there through the entirety of the credits in a puddle of my own tears questioning why I put myself through that. 

I think that’s the essence of all A24 films. They're meant to evoke something in you. They take time to digest and appreciate further. None of the stories are flashy, but there is something so human at the heart of every story. 

Let me know your favorite A24 releases!

2 comments:

  1. Mid 90s is still one of my favorite movies! I think that there aren't enough films about skate culture in the 90s, and it has always been something I think is facinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of these five films, I have only seen Pearl and am most definitely looking forward to checking the others ones out. A24 has such a distinguished vibe and way of making films, I have hardly been disappointed in any of the other projects they've made. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete