Thursday, December 7, 2023

Five Songs You Need on Your Playlist Expeditiously

As someone who works at a college radio station, I often get asked what music I listen to. And honestly? It ranges dramatically.

Lately I have been really into soft indie pop, which is perfect for relaxing or mourning my romances that live solely in my mind. Other times, I enjoy listening to punk music to really let out that pent-up angst I never let out as a teenager (I was an ASB kid, so I did the opposite of being angsty). 


But honestly, I feel like putting yourself in a genre box is not really productive. Why can’t we just enjoy music? So what if my playlists do not make any cohesive sense, I just want to listen to what I like.


So, with that, I want to share five songs that have been on repeat for myself. These songs add a certain je ne sais quoi to my playlist, and I would love to share the same je ne sais quoi with you.


  1. “Ungodly Hour” by Chloe x Halle




The title track of the sister duo’s debut album really can do no wrong. With a fun, KAYTRANADA-esque production, the song is sure to make you dance, or at least tap your feet. Plus, the added vocals from the BeyoncĂ©s-to-be add for a dynamic listening experience. For the best experience, listen with headphones (or your car speakers cranked up as loud as possible), and pay attention to their backing vocals! Those vocals are probably the closest I will ever hear to hearing angels sing to me.


  1. “Another life” by PinkPantheress featuring Rema




I had no clue PinkPantheress was dropping an album this past month, but I was pleasantly surprised when I decided to listen. What caught my eye at first was the fact that many of the songs on her album are way longer than the typical minute-and-a-half song PinkPantheress usually provides. This song, weighing in just under three whole minutes, squeezes in as much fun and movement as an artist possibly could. The song is super fun, and I can’t help but feel like I am in some sort of fast-paced video game level when I am listening to the song. I had also never heard of Rema, but enjoyed his verse!


  1. “Sea, Swallow Me” by Cocteau Twins and Harold Budd




Shifting the tone dramatically, I could not help but include a song by one of my favorite bands ever. This song comes off of their 1986 joint album with Harold Budd, and is sure to leave the listener with some sort of existential dread. Hey, it may not be the typical upbeat music most people enjoy, but experiencing all different kinds of emotions makes us more emotionally mature. Right…?


  1. “Houdini” by Dua Lipa




Yeah, yeah, a top 40 radio hit is on my radar. Sue me! “Houdini” is such a fun experience. I cannot help but dance when I hear this song. While Dua Lipa is admittedly no vocalist, she sounds wonderful on the song and is irresistible to not sing along with. It is also a lengthier track compared to most modern top 40 hits (Thanks, TikTok) so that is definitely added points for me.


  1. “Prescription” by Remi Wolf




My favorite song on this list, “Prescription” is just a whirlwind from start to finish. I am not sure how to define the genre of this song, but when I was telling my friend how I need to “inject this song into my veins,” I described it as psychedelic-grunge-pop. Honestly, I feel like that descriptor fits the song perfectly. The wacky production mixed with Remi Wolf’s insane vocals, especially in the last 30 or so seconds of the song, really make this a fun experience for your ears. 


Ultimately, I understand everyone has their own unique music taste. So, I would love to hear from you! If you totally loved one of these songs, or even totally hated one, let me know. Or, feel free to drop what song(s) you think I should listen to!


1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I am always fond of hearing new music suggestions and listening to new songs. Can definitely say "Houdini" by Duo Lipa has been on my playlist since its release! Looking forward to checking the other songs out.

    ReplyDelete