Monday, February 27, 2023

"Good Riddance" as fictional characters

Have you ever listened to a song and thought that the story it tells relates exactly to a specific character or couple from a series, movie or even book? I know I have. So in honor of the “Good Riddance” album release by Gracie Abrams, here’s a list of fictional characters I relate to the tracks of her new album.

1. Best 

Paige towards Leo from “The Vow”. Paige treated Leo so badly after the accident when he was just trying to help and love her the way he was used to. He didn’t deserve that. This song is her realizing that wasn’t the best for him.

2. I know it won’t work

Rory and Dean from “Gilmore Girls” after she breaks up with him gets together with Jess. Dean keeps waiting for her to come back to him but she simply doesn’t want that. She doesn’t love him anymore.

3. Full machine

Tom falling for Summer in "500 Days of Summer”. He falls so hard and loves her so deeply while she’s not feeling the same way. He wants someone that doesn’t want him as much as he does.

4. Where do we go now?

Brooke and Gary in “The Breakup”. Their relationship hit a dead end and they both know there's nowhere to go from there but staying for so long, trying to make it work although they know it’s gone.

5. I should hate you

This one was a no-brainer: Kat in “10 things I hate about you” when she gives her speech in class about all the things she hates about Patrick but knowing that, despite all that, she still cares for him and could never hate him at all.

6. Will you cry?

Beth in “He’s just not that into you” with her boyfriend Neil. He shows no interest in getting married and she just wanted to end things to see if he would even care that she left.

7. Amelie

Jo in “Little Women” writes a book, reminiscing about her past life, almost not recognizing the person she is now compared to her younger self.

8. Difficult

Archer in “Archer’s Voice” struggles with a disability and he isolates himself because he thinks that he is a burden to everyone around him.

9. This is what drugs are for

Daisy in “Daisy Jones & The Six” takes every pill and uses whichever distraction to not think about Billy, but it doesn’t really work.

10. Fault line

Babi in “Three Steps Above Heaven” falling for Hache, a guy that has a whole set of problems and knowing he’s a bit dangerous, but she comes with her own set of problems to bring to the table acknowledging that they could crack at any time.

11. The blue

Ezra and Amira in “You People” finding each other and not expecting them to completely change each other’s lives; they fall in love in the best way possible.

12. Right now

Holly in “P.S. I Love You” finding and feeling like herself again after Gerry’s death.

I recommend listening to the album for a deeper understanding. It's heartbreaking yet beautiful. After listening, if you think of any other characters, feel free to let me know. :)


2 comments:

  1. I've had the exact same thought with certain songs that I've listened to. I also have songs that come on and I automatically think of someone I know. I love how most of this album are all songs that you like. Sometimes albums have only 2-3 good songs and the rest are just "skips," but that's cool to see you liked the whole album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relatable content. I do this with everything. My mind is an endless encyclopedia of worthless facts and making connections between characters and songs is one of my specialties. I'm listening to the album right now and all of these are accurate. Sidenote: I personally believe that Amelie is an attack on my mental health; I feel seen. That being said, I totally agree with your choice of Jo for the song.

    ReplyDelete