Thursday, May 4, 2023

Go Evelyn Hugo!

 



The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a very popular book by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It follows the story of journalist, Monique Grant, as she gets to interview a private, old Hollywood Starlette, Evelyn Hugo. Hugo has been in hiding for decades and her secrets are all going to come out in this one interview.

I loved this story. It was so captivating. If you like Old Hollywood, then you will definitely love this story. Hugo is described kind of like Marilyn Monroe, but if she didn't die. She is a blond bombshell who first stars in goofy movies, until she has a breakout role. The book tells the story of Hugo as she gets married and divorced from the varies gentlemen. I like that every marriage shows different aspects of her life.

*Spoilers from here on out*

It personally changed my view of Hollywood in general. It showed me the importance of PR. It seems like everyone in that world only does things to get ahead. Every marriage is not for love, but personal gain. I was most fascinated in the relationships between people. It was by far my most favorite thing. From the beginning Evelyn was trying to get ahead. I also like that at the end she realizes that none of it is really important and what is most is love.

I loved how Evelyn was bisexual and her real love was a female. I loved the story of what it was like at the time. I also like that it shows the difference society puts between bisexual and gay. There is a scene where she explains that since she is actually capable of loving a man, she won't be casted as bad as her lover who isn't bisexual. It is a hard truth about societies belief of conventionalism. I also like it doesn't any part of the relationship.

I honestly loved seeing the love between Harry and Evelyn. I loved seeing the true friendship and how he was always there for her. I also liked that they had a child together. Evelyn loved him to the end which is why she covered everything about his death up. He was gay as well. At the time that was forbidden so when he died with his partner she went and made sure that it never got out.

Monique's storyline was kind of bland, but the aspect of figuring out why Evelyn chooses her kept me intruded until the end. When it was revealed that her dad was gay and Harry's lover I was in shock. I really liked the story line and thought it really tied everything together.

Overall, this was a great book with great content. I highly recommend this book to anyone. I understand why Booktok is constantly recommending this book. I didn't want to read it for a long time because I figured it would be overhyped, but actually it is worth the hype.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Vanessa,

    I've never heard of this book and it was really interesting reading this and overall about how the book great content it brought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa!
    I absolutely love this book and enjoyed reading what you had to say about it! I was also recommended this book on Tiktok and definitely know why after completing it!

    ReplyDelete