Monday, September 23, 2024

An Olympic Dream

Being the big sports fan that I am, I was ecstatic when I heard that Los Angeles will be the host city for the 2028 Summer Olympics. The idea of being able to see the world's best athletes compete in my home city had me very excited. Fortunately for me, the excitement of going to the Olympics was brought to me four years earlier than anticipated. That is all thanks to Dr. Gayle Brisbane who allowed me to join her study abroad program that would give students the special opportunity to be journalists at the 2024 Paris Olympics. An opportunity that fulfilled two of my dreams: being an attendee at the Olympics and to travel to Paris. 

After a lot of meetings to prepare for the trip and getting to know each other, we ended up leaving Los Angeles on July 21st and staying until the Olympics conclusion. During our meetings, we discussed what are things we need to look out for and what would be possible intriguing stories we can cover. As we got to Paris, we spent the first week touring the city and getting accustomed to the city. It was beautiful and very cool to see all of the historical landmarks. After a couple days of site seeing, the Games began. 


First Olympic duty was being able to attend the Opening Ceremony on the Seine River which was very cool to witness. During my time there, I created feature stories on Olympians and dug deeper into how Parisians felt about hosting the Games. I was also able to watch tennis, cycling, handball, waterpolo, beach volleyball, and the women's gold medal match for soccer. All events lived up to the hype, but I must say the most shocking was handball. It was a new sport to me and I found myself quickly interested. Another memorable moment from attending the events was the women's gold soccer match. We went to the game as a group and all got to witness the United States take home gold! I was brought the chills when we sang the national anthem and saw our flag raise to the top during the medal ceremony. 


Being in Paris for the Olympics was very special to be at as it gave me unforgettable memories. Although, I think the best part of the trip was how I left to Paris not knowing anyone but ultimately got to grow a close bond with everyone on the trip and create friendships with my colleagues. We essentially lived overseas together for three weeks and lived out our dreams. I am forever thankful for going on this adventure with all of them. This trip was a reminder for me that the two things I love the most are things that I want to continue pursuing in my life. I want a successful career in sports media and want to be able to travel the world. This trip did so much wonders for me and I am extremely grateful for it.

5 comments:

  1. Attending the Olympics in another country sounds like the experience of a lifetime. It's amazing that you got to be a spectator and write about different events. It sounds like you are passionate about it as well so it's great that you now have a glimpse as to what a future career might be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea Huitron
    I'm glad you had such a great time while abroad! I would definitely have to agree with you, the best part of study abroad trips is the valuable friendships you gain from it. I absolutely loved reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw various highlights from the Paris Olympics, how fun that you were able to attend! Traveling alone with strangers always seemed intimidating to me but your blog really puts into perspective how fun it could be. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jonathan, What an incredible opportunity! I really enjoyed reading your blog post as it increased my curiosity after seeing the communications department's post about it. Therefore, you explaining the process and your experience was very insightful. Really great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jonathan, spending a summer covering the olympics is an amazing experience, especially in Paris. When I saw the various posts from the @csufolympics instagram I was so jealous and happy for you all. Im glad you were able to do this and it was amazing reading about it!

    ReplyDelete