Thursday, September 8, 2011

COD XP: The Labors of Love

The majority of working college students will tell you that their job makes them want to bash their head in to a wall. I’ll admit at times I feel the same way but this Labor Day weekend my employer made me want to not only bash my head in to a wall but possible take a scene out of the movie Horrible Bosses. First off let me start by clearing up two very important things. One I am in love with the game Call of Duty and two I work at a paintball park, so when I was offered the chance to work an event “Call of Duty XP” I said no. The reason being was because I thought it was just another paintball scenario game who’s name we stole in order to attract customers. Then I found out that it was an actual event ran by Activision for Modern Warfare 3. I decided that this was an opportunity I couldn’t miss out on.

Let me just go ahead and say that this was an amazing event to attend. Everyone who attended the event received a gift bag with a code to receive the Hardened edition of Modern Warfare 3. You were able to test drive a Jeep on a recreated battle field, zip line over the entire event, try and get the best time in “The Pit”, Sumo wrestle your buddy as a juggernaut, compete in a $1 million gaming challenge, eat at Burger Town, watch The Dropkick Murphy’s, Kanye West, Kid Cudi perform, and play 7 minutes on Scrap yard. All of the Call of Duty fans reading this are probably foaming at the mouth by now.

Unfortunately, that is not what this about. This is about how your employer can make you drive an hour and a half in traffic to work an event for 10 plus hours with only a one-hour break. Not only that but we had to pay for our own hotel room in order to avoid the drive back to Corona at midnight only to come back and work another 10 hour shift the next day. Activision had recreated the map, Scrap Yard from the game and people were given 7 minutes to play one game with only 200 paintballs in their guns. I was placed in the weapons depot where we had 7 minutes to set up 32 sets of vests, jumpsuits, guns with paint, and masks. This is hard to accomplish when you’re under staffed and the return equipment building is more then 200 feet away. Our breaks were the breaths we took between our explanations to the attendees and our lunches were $12 if you didn’t bring one. The only free thing we received was our staff shirt and because we had to work we were unable to do any of the fun things listed above, except for attending the concerts.

Ultimately this weekend was equivalent to working in Hell and very much so like a MasterCard commercial. Hotel room $145, gas $50, Memorable Call of Duty jacket $70, being able to work Call of Duty XP priceless.

If I learned anything from this weekend it's that I will probably have to work another event like this and that my love for this game is disgusting considering what I allowed my employer to put me through. I would have provided pictures but I was unable to leave my tent and acquire them.

No comments:

Post a Comment