Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fullerton Resident Honors 9/11 Heroes and Civilians


Nearly 1600 American flags and hundreds of custom-made crosses lined Scott Townley's front lawn in Fullerton on the corner of Fern Dr. and Woods Ave. to commemorate the victims of the September 11th terrorist attacks.  Flowers engulfed his lawn while a large white sign with bold letters read, "In Honor of the Heroes and Innocent People Who Perished / September 11th, 2001 / We Will Never Forget."

Townley, who has been a firefighter for the Santa Ana Fire Department since 1986, began memorializing 9/11 victims three to four days after the attacks.

"I felt compelled to do the memorial," Townley said.  "I placed a hand-painted sign for all the firefighters and followed it by putting between [20-50] flags on a mound by my corner lot.  Over the years, I've always had that up every single September 11th.  Last year as I was taking it down, I thought to myself, 'Next year is the 10th Anniversary...I need to do something bigger -- something that people will really remember.'"

Townley did just that, and so much more followed.

Over the past week, local residents, council men, and firefighters paid multiple visits to his home while media outlets flocked to his doorstep, requesting interviews for segments about the memorial and his journey to its completion, including CBS-2, KTLA-5, ABC-7, and more.

His project started soon after last year's anniversary and took about 11 months to complete.  The result was beyond imaginable: 1600 small American flags meticulously placed throughout the front lawn; hundreds of hand-crafted crosses to pay tribute to FDNY, NYPD, and Port Authority officers; three massive, handmade crosses, each standing 8-feet tall; and a table filled with facts about 9/11, the names and faces of deceased heroes, a guestbook for visitors to sign and water.

With the exception of one 8-foot-tall cross, the other two read "FDNY 393" and "NYPD, PAPD, NY."  The third cross was labeled "Civilians."  In blue and read font, it listed the names of all the civilians who perished on 9/11.  The list included 2,835 names from the World Trade Center, American Airlines Flight 11, United Airlines Flight 175, the Pentagon, the United States Army and Navy, American Airlines Flight 77 and United Airlines Flight 93.

As for the 1600 flags, Townley mentioned that one small flag represented three lives lost, however, the FDNY, NYPD and PAPD were each given their own flags as a tribute to fallen heroes.

"What has been happening is that people who knew some of the firefighters personally, have been coming here to take the flags in front of their crosses.  Some are bringing it back to the widows and orphans of these firefighters.  Once they are taken, I take the flags surrounding the trees and replace them.  The policemen also have flags, but of those I have spoken to, none have known any of them," said Townley.

A year from now, Townley has a similar plan for his memorial, except this time, he will be placing over 3,100 flags on the front lawn.  He says one flag will represent a life lost as a result of 9/11, so no one will be forgotten.  Set up will begin on either Sept. 1st or 2nd and some locals have already stepped up to volunteer.

"It's a labor of love.  It was my honor -- an honor to my FDNY Brothers."


3 comments:

  1. I had briefly seen this on the news and wondered where in Fullerton it was. I would have love to gone and see this in person, but since I had no idea where in Fullerton this was, I was unable to do so. It looks like it was a truly beautiful memorial that this good-hearted man set up. I find it so touching that there are still some good people in this world who would take so much of their own time to pay respect to those who lost their lives in the name of our country. I love seeing and hearing stories like these, it gives me hope that there are still some good and selfless people in this world. However, I find it sad that these things only happen due to an anniversary of a tragic event in our country. I would be nice if this love and respect could be constant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the tragedy still brings sorrow to so many of us, it is so great to see how much love and support our community and nation are capable of. Even though we are on opposite sides of the country, so many Californians seem to be directly connected somehow to firefighters and people that were involved in 911. I appreciate that we take time as a nation to remember that we are all linked together somehow. And I hope that we will continue to show so much reverence for that day in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that 9/11 is definitely a sad time but minus the unfortunate lives that were lost, I feel like recognizing the day and bringing all of us together is exactly what the terrorists responsible for the attacks wouldn't want. I wish that we celebrated our heroes more often and didn't have to wait for a tragedy to happen for it to happen

    ReplyDelete