Friday, October 27, 2023

My Top 5 Halloween Films to Put me in The Holiday Spirit



We all know that Halloween time is the start of the holiday season. Movies are often the best way to get into the holiday spirit. I will be listing my top 5 movies that are always putty in the mood to carve pumpkins, dress up in a costume, and get ready for the tricks and treats of the season. 


  1. Hocus Pocus (1993): Hocus Pocus is probably my favorite Halloween movie of all time. From the amazing costume design to the nostalgic feel you get while watching, Hocus Pocus follows the character and protagonist, Max. As a new student I’m Salem, Max is cynical about the lore the rest of the town seems to believe in. That is until he blows out the Black Flame Candle and summons the Sanderson sisters back into town. Hocus Pocus is the perfect movie to put you in the Halloween spirit. 


  2. Halloweentown (1998): Halloweentown, which originally premiered on Disney Channel, comes in second place for movies to put me in the Halloween holiday spirit. This movie, which is the first of four, follows a family of witches. Marnie, the oldest sister, is new to her witch powers and happens to follow her grandma to a whole new world. Marnie’s grandma lives in Halloweentown and is a witch herself. In this film, they must save Halloweentown and keep the spirit of Halloween alive. This movie never fails to make me excited for Halloween. 


  3. Halloween (1978): This one is for all the slasher fans. Halloween is a classic Halloween movie and one I prefer to watch with the lights on. Brutal murderer, Michael Myers escapes custody after killing his sister, Judith. He then stalks Jamie Lee Curtis’ character Laurie. This movie is perfect to put you in the Halloween spirit if you’re up for something a little bit frightening. 


  4. Coraline (2009): Coraline, the famous claymation film by Tim Burton, is fourth on the list. In this film, Coraline moves into the Pink Palaces, an eerie condo complex. She comes across a box and in that box, there is a doll that is identical to her. This doll leads her through a secret door in her home, to her “Other Mother,” an identical copy of her mom, but with button eyes. This film is my favorite Tim Burton film and overall, just a great movie to watch around Halloween time. 


  5. Scream (1996): Last, but certainly not least, Scream. This film is the first of the Scream franchise and a Halloween classic. Scream is yet another slasher film, that offers a little bit more humor than Halloween, but doesn’t take away from the goryness a true slasher includes. Characters, Randy, Gale, Dewey, Sidney, and her father all must uncover who is actually behind the mask. This film is fifth on my list because although it is a classic, it doesn’t top Halloween’s ability to encapture Halloween thrillers. 


Halloween movies are such a big part of the holiday and hopefully,
my top 5 Halloween movies could inspire the urge to throw on a scary movie tonight.


5 comments:

  1. These are great movies! I love Halloweentown, my family and I usually get together to watch this movie during October and carve pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The craziest thing about this list is that I have not watched any of these movies yet! I have never been a big Halloween person so that's why I have not watched any of these movies but I will watch them eventually. Maybe next year is the year because of this list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! I love your writing style, it feels like you’re having a conversation. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday, so it’s crazy that I have never seen Hocus Pocus or Halloweentown. I love Coraline. It’s weird in all the best ways and transports me to another world. I absolutely love slashers any time of year, so I was excited to see that Halloween and Scream made your cut. Scream is my all time favorite slasher franchise because of the mix of horror, comedy, and meta commentary. I even saw Scream VI five times in the theater this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On this list, I've only seen Hocus Pocus and Coraline. Coraline will always be my favorite movie of all time, and I enjoy watching it whenever I feel down or whenever I’ve had a good day. The soundtrack for the film is great as well. The other movies I haven't seen, but after this Halloween, I’ve been really interested in horror/Halloween-themed movies, so I’ll definitely be watching these over break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome article! Halloweentown is such a classic and always brings back good memories of watching this in my childhood. The story is so original!

    ReplyDelete