Monday, October 10, 2011

57 Reasons to Hate Commuting

I don’t know what is worse: Waking up at 6 a.m. for a 2:30 p.m. class or having to wait in traffic on the 57 freeway. Both are infuriating, but at least waking up early allows me to take my time getting ready and to possibly watch a little bit of Law and Order. When I am stuck on the 57, though, my blood boils and I start my day crabby.

My commute from Anaheim to Cal State Fullerton isn’t too far, but I only have two ways of getting to school. I can take side-streets across several cities. However, constantly hitting red lights and waiting in traffic from elementary school children being dropped off usually results in a 45 minute trip. My only other option is taking the 91 freeway to the 57; a much simpler way, one may believe. Not quite.

Freeways have always made me nervous. Big trucks, people speeding and merging lanes have been in my nightmares since I tuned 16. But I repress these mental images if it means getting to school quicker. At least, I try to until a huge diesel drifts into my lane without flashing a blinker.

The 91 isn’t the problem, though. Traffic is usually at a minimum and drivers seem tamer. It’s when I’m merging onto the 57 that hell breaks loose. Waiting on the congested onramp to get onto the freeway, I hear horns blaring and see hoards of cars bumper-to-bumper. Cars stagger forward, yet seem to go nowhere, reminiscent of a never-ending line at the DMV. My stomach churns as I once again realize what I have to go through to get to school.

The reckless driving is the cherry on top. Drivers must be practicing for their audition for the next Fast and Furious by weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off and refusing to allow me over. When I am stuck in the (not-so) fast lane, I look into my rearview mirror at the carpool lane to see these daredevils zoom past me illegally, as if they are entitled to a quicker route than everybody else. Oh, how I am tempted to throw something out my window at them.

Luckily, I am only on the freeway for about three miles, but this short trip infuriates me to the point where I need to vent. Yet, until a road is built directly from my house to Cal State Fullerton, I am left wallowing in the pit that is the 57 freeway.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, your post is one of my favorites on this blog. I totally feel you on the reckless driving and whatnot.

    I can totally relate to that, which got my blood boiling in the beginning. I was imaging myself honking or throwing some dirty looks at drivers, until I read your mention of the Fast and Furious audition. That lightening everything up.

    Luckily for you, the commute isn't as long. I commute from Arcadia, which means the 605 > 60 > 57, which again, isn't too shabby until I hit the 57. If only I could apparate to school (for the Harry Potter nerds out there).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should most definitely look into public transportation options. I live in Fullerton (near Anaheim) and last year I took the bus to and from school nearly every day. The 57 line travels the same route as the 57 Freeway and the 24 and 26 lines travel from downtown Fullerton to right across the street from the school.

    It's more relaxing than driving and gives you some time to work on reading or homework. Great story though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traffic is definitely a day-breaker! I try to just get lost in my ipod and not let all of the crazy people get to me. I come from Manhattan Beach so luckily when I come to and from school typically traffic is going the opposite way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your take on the 57 freeway because anyone who has driven on it can relate. It is without-a-doubt one of the worst freeways around. I've found myself going from a good mood to seriously pissed off after encountering the 57.

    ReplyDelete