Tuesday, October 18, 2011

CALIFORN-I-A

As I approach my graduate date in May, I become more and more fond of the idea of traveling for the summer instead of going straight to work. But even with great dreams of traveling the world, I began to think about just how much there is in my own backyard. California is full of gorgeous landscape. We’ve got everything from beaches to mountains to bays to wineries to major cities. So before I try taking on the world, maybe I should start with my own state...that’s in my own country.

  • Starting in the south, San Diego comes to mind. The county offers night life at the Gaslamp
    District. The downtown atmosphere offers dining, entertainment, history, hotels, and this month--a couple of Halloween parties and a haunted house.
During the day time, San Diego has some wonderful attractions as well. Apart from Sea World and the beach, the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park are very popular. And for those who are sports enthusiasts, Petco Park hosts the Padres, and Qualcomm Stadium hosts the Chargers.

  • Orange and Los Angeles Counties are full of fun things as well. Hollywood is your guide to the stars, Disneyland in Anaheim can make magic for you, Knott's Berry Farm can thrill you, Medieval Times can take you back in time, Universal Studios can show you what's behind the scenes, and the Ducks, Kings, Dodgers, Angels, Clippers, and Lakers can all encourage your competitive side. For those who like to be outside, there are of course beaches, but also hiking trails. Monrovia trails (pictured) lead hikers to a waterfall, hiking through Malibu can end on the old set of M*A*S*H and Runyon Canyon in the Hollywood Hills treats hikers to a site of the city that's hard to find anywhere else.


As I began to think about what lies outside of my comfort zone (what's north of LA), I started to become overwhelmed. So here are the hot spots, some tourist-y and some not-so-much.


  • San Fransisco offers the famous 4200 feet long, Golden Gate Bridge, a site everyone should see at least once (especially if you're a Californian). It can be viewed from a ferry below it; a bike ride, car ride, or walk across it; or from view points on the land below. As 2012 marks the bridge's 75th anniversary, this year should be more special than ever. While you're in San Fran, also find Alcatraz Island. You'll find great views and a may even get a history lesson out of the trip.
  • Yosemite National Park has tons to do for everyone. With breathtaking falls as high as 2425 feet, the park truly offers a serene landscape. While in Yosemite, visitors can also walk through the giant sequoias, visit and learn about the wild life, go rock climbing, and even visit with the rangers.

  • Santa Barbara has a small town feel and definitely gets you out of the hustle and bustle that is Los Angeles. With gorgeous views, great shopping, a range of food selection, wine, and Californian nostalgia, this is a sure addition to my must-see list.

  • Built for William Randolf Hearst, Hearst Castle is a dream we'd all like to come true in our own lives. However, with 56 bedrooms, 61 bathrooms, 19 sitting rooms, 127 acres of gardens, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, a movie theater, an airfield, and the world's largest private zoo, I would be easily lost. Still, I would love to stop here on a road trip and experience its magnificence.

  • Just north of San Francisco, Napa Valley is most famous for its wine country. While most girls drool over the idea of getting married here, Napa also offers golf, fine dining, spas, wine tastings, hot-air balloon rides, farmer's markets, state parks, and beaches. The possibilities truly are endless. While France, Italy and Spain may come to mind first when thinking of gorgeous landscape that also offers authentic food and wine, Napa Valley is in every Californian's backyard and has joined those countries in the top ranks.

When I am at work, I meet many tourists from other countries who are doing so much in the few weeks that they are in the US which I have not been able to do in my entire life time. So before I travel the world (which holds its own magnificence, I know), I will first discover California.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came from Malaysia a few years ago and i totally agree on how beautiful California is. It rich with different landscapes and infrastructure. I absolutely love the pictures that you put up, it definitely proves how lucky we are to live in California!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post! I took a trip to Hearst Castle years ago when I was about 9 or 10, and it was AMAZING. As a kid, everything is larger than it seems, and as a young girl, I was all for castles and fancy things that can be seen in fairy tales.

    I forget exactly which tour my family and I went on, however, it was so out-of-this-world! The castle included gold-entwined floors, indoor and outdoor pools scenes overlooking his farm area and so much more. I always imagined his home to be in a film, with a young, curious child running around getting lost.

    I would love to have the opportunity to go back and roam around, but then again, I'm sure many areas are roped off for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I moved here from Missouri 4 years ago and still feel like I have barely scratched the surface on everything there is to do in California. You picked some really good places and things to do.

    I tried to stop at Hearst Castle on the way back from trip to Big Sur and didn't realize they charge you and you have to go on the group tour. If you get a chance to go to Hearst or Santa Barbara, take the little extra drive and go camp in Big Sur for a night or too. Its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! We really are so blessed to live in such a beautiful state that has so much to offer. Sadly, there are some places you mentioned that I have yet to visit. How have I been to Italy and Eastern Europe and yet I still haven't seen the Golden Gate bridge? That just doesn't make sense. San Fran is definitely on my immediate to-do list. Yosemite is another landmark I have yet to experience first-hand. Luckily, some friends and I are heading up there in two weeks for a long weekend. Hurray for taking advantage of what this beautiful state has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally - and I'm probably a little bias - California is for sure my favorite state. I feel so lucky to have grown up here, and in SoCal specifically. There is so much culture and life right here in my own backyard; it would be a shame to never take advantage of it.

    LA and San Francisco are two of my favorite cities, too. San Fran, especially, is breathtaking. The architecture there is beautiful, and the Golden Gate Bridge is amazing. Alcatraz has a really interesting history, too, and being there and seeing it is a great experience.

    I also love the hippie scene of the Haight/Ashbury district. It's a fun scene to check out, especially if you're into that kind of vibe. Plus there's a lot of 60s rock history there (Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead) just literally in the streets. It's a cool place to go for a day of shopping, especially in vintage shops.

    This is a really cool post you did. I like all the highlights you've included. It reminds us all that we have so many great sights to see in this beautiful state which, if you grew up here like I did, we sometimes can take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cali is the best. I have lived her all my life and I wouldn't want to have grown up anywhere else. I do plan to live in a different state for a little bit, but Cali will always be my home.

    ReplyDelete