Saturday, October 15, 2011

Halloween Tricks & Treats!

Halloween is only a little over 2 weeks away and it can always be tough to find fun yet easy and cheap snacks to make for a party! It can get pricey when you are expected to make snacks for lots of people that may like different foods or could be trying to eat healthy, etc. 

Here are a few of my favorite recipes that I have tried in the past! The ingredients are expensive so you can even do a test run at home before the big day! 

Graveyard Brownies

What you will need

Picture and Recipe courtesy of www.picky-palate.com
1  Brownie Mix, 8×8 size
6 Milano Cookies
5 Oreo Cookies
6 Pumpkin candy corns and 6 normal candy corns
1 Frosting to write with (In black or brown)
  • First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  
  • Follow the directions for your brownies in an 8×8 inch pan lined with foil 
        *Be sure to spray with cooking spray*
  • Let cool completely then cut into 6 rectangles.
  • With frosting pen write "RIP"  onto the Milano Cookies then press the cookie into the back of each brownie.  
  • Top with a candy corn pumpkin and candy corn.  Sprinkle with crushed Oreos for the “dirt" effect 
A Veggie tray is another great snack that is healthier and involves no baking at all!
Pumpkin Veggie Tray

What You Will Need

A large serving tray or cutting board
1 large bag of baby carrots
Picture & Recipe courtesy of www.tasteofhome.com
1 cucumber
1 head of broccoli
1 carton of your favorite veggie dip
2 small bowls

  • First you will want to make a pumpkin shaped outline out of carrots on your cutting board. Once you get a shape you like, fill the circle with your carrots
  • Remove enough carrots so you will have room to fit your cut up cucumber slices for the mouth
  • Place halved cucumber slices into your open slot
  • Fill your small bowls with veggie dip and fit them into the pumpkin as eyes and nose
  • Cut the head off of your broccoli stem and place that at the top of your pumpkin 
Another healthy snack that is super easy to make!
Recipe and Photo courtesy of familyfun.go.com
Apple Bites
What you will need




An Apple
Sliced almonds

  • Cut your apples into quarters and cut out the core
  • Cut out a wedge out of the skin side of the apple
  • Stick sliced almonds in place as teeth 
  • TIP: If you are making these ahead of time, baste apples with lemon juice so they will not brown


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, those brownies not only sound delicious, but look super cute as well! The pumpkin veggie tray and apple bites are such neat ideas! I love Halloween time! Those would be so great to have if you were having a Halloween party or something!

    P.S. If that's your dog, he/she is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is super easy to read and I didn't get bored or overwhelmed with the length. Your festive font colors are cute too! I love these ideas, they are very different from the normal cookie and candy ideas we usually see at Halloween time. It really make Halloween time fun instead of scary, and your ideas are actually applicable to real life. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the idea, so creative and looks really good. The best part about it is that is cost effective especially for college kids and not to mention I absolutely love baking. Kudos to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Apple Bites. I really like caramel apples with almonds from Disneyland. I think I will put some caramel on them to make like salvia. I know my family will love it too. I was making my boyfriend a little Halloween treat bag for fun, since were are too old to Trick-or-Treat, and I definitely want to try and include some of these recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel! I love this post! The outcome of these recipes are so adorable! It's definitely something I'd be down to try out, although my laziness will probably overcome me. I have to say that the apples are the best one out f what you posted though. I'm also diggin' that photo of Slugger too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Halloween and candy so every year around this time I find myself trading in the gym for some candy. These recipes seem like a lot of fun and the veggie tray and apple slices really caught my eye. I love finding healthy alternatives rather than trying to steal some of my boyfriends nephews candy. I think a great follow up piece to this would be on low fat or no sugar recipes that still look and taste delicious. There's nothing better than being able to enjoy a cupcake without the fear of how many calories you'll need to burn off later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your blogpost because I love baking, especially during the holidays. I always find holiday recipes fascinating because they look so realistic, yet you can find all of the ingredients in your pantry or at your local market. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete