Friday, March 10, 2023

Oscars Predictions 2023: Who SHOULD and who WILL win

Hollywood's biggest night is a few days away and I for one already have my picks on who should win the most-wanted award in the industry. People campaign all year long for the ultimate price and it's well known that the Oscars aren't short of surprises and twists during the incredibly long ceremony. Truly, anything could happen.

So, here are my predictions for the most significant awards of the night based on what I've enjoyed and seen in this year's season of awards:

Leading Actor

Who I think should win: Brendan Fraser

Who I think will win: Austin Butler

Personally, the main reason I want Fraser to win is that it would be so wholesome and his journey will come full circle. The Academy loves a good narrative and his comeback story is exactly it. Colin Farrell is another one of my favorites and he did win at the Golden Globes but people have speculated that it had to do with problems between the HFPA and Fraser more than anything, however, I think it was well deserved. Nevertheless, Butler might win. And hey, I love Austin and I adore Elvis–though the movie was too long–but isn't it kind of repetitive if he wins? Like, we've seen that; Rami Malek as Freddy, Will Smith as Richard, Gary Oldman as Churchill... Let's change it up!

Leading Actress

Who I think should win: Michelle Yeoh

Who I think will win: Cate Blanchett

This was tough and honestly, it could go either way. On one hand, Yeoh made me sob when I first watched EEAAO. Not only was her performance heart-wrenching but she also showed some comedy chops as well as literal karate chops. She's truly a triple threat and deserves the win. Plus, Yeoh winning would make her the second woman of color to win in this category after two decades. And on the other hand, Blanchett is the critics' favorite. I did love her performance and the theme they touched on regarding cancel culture and the dilemma of separating the art from the artist. The only thing is that some people say that Blanchett shouldn't win because she already has two Oscars under her belt, but also, what kind of reason is that? The award should go to the best, no matter what.

I'm honestly happy with whoever wins. But I must say though if Andrea Riseborough wins this category the internet will not stay silent–and neither am I.

Supporting Actor

Who I think should win: Ke Huy Quan

Who I think will win: Ke Huy Quan

There's no doubt in my mind he'll win. Ke has been sweeping awards left and right for his performance and I know this acclaimed golden statue will be next. He was incredible in EEAAO and totally deserves it. Enough said.





Supporting Actress

Who I think should win: Stephanie Hsu

Who I think will win: Angela Bassett or Jamie Lee Curtis

Realistically, it's a toss-up between Bassett and Curtis. I've lost hope in Stephanie winning but she's still my favorite. Both Angela and Jamie have been winning in previous award ceremonies so I'm not really sure. And, I love Jamie Lee Curtis as much as the next person but she wasn't even in half of EEAAO. Of course, I laughed out loud every second she was on screen but she didn't push the story forward as much as Hsu or Bassett in their respective films.


Animated Feature Film

Who I think should win: Del Toro's Pinocchio

Who I think will win: Del Toro's Pinocchio

It's everything the Academy loves; Del Toro, stop-motion animation, a classic story and a few sweet bangers. The animation is beyond immaculate and I'm very confident that my compatriot will secure the bag in this category.





Cinematography

Who I think should win: Bardo

Who I think will win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Adapted Screenplay

Who I think should win: Women Talking

Who I think will win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Original Screenplay

Who I think should win: Triangle of Sadness

Who I think will win: The Banshees of Inisherin

Costume Design

Who I think should win: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Who I think will win: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

International Feature Film

Who I think should win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Who I think will win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Directing

Who I think should win: The Daniels

Who I think will win: Steven Spielberg

And...

Best Picture

Who I think should win: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Who I think will win: Everything Everywhere All At Once


As most of us know, the Oscars are unpredictable. We either agree and love the results or disagree wholeheartedly and complain online with outrageously hilarious memes and tweets. Honestly, most years, reading the comments post-ceremony is more enjoyable for me than the event itself. Let's hope for the best this Oscars Sunday, keep an open mind and enjoy the red carpet looks if anything. Plus, I'm certain we'll get some fun remarks about last year's little incident. Can't wait!


Here are some Oscar Ballot templates in case you want your predictions on paper for friendly bets ;)

Vanity Fair's Online and Printable Ballot 2023

https://www.vanityfair.com/oscars-ballot

Pop Sugar's Printable Ballot 2023

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/oscar-ballot-49109165










2 comments:

  1. I really hope Stephanie Hsu wins for best supporting actor too, she did really good in Everything Everywhere All At Once. Her audition tape for the movie was also really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for including the ballots! I'm so bummed that I didn't see this before the show aired, that would have been so fun.

    ReplyDelete