Wednesday, April 26, 2023

"Malibu Rising" by Taylor Jenkins Reid Review


As Taylor Jenkins Reid continues to grow in popularity from her literary fiction novels, she tends to not fail her readers. Reid has been releasing books that continue to be shelved by adoring fans.


Recently, I read Malibu Rising by T.J.R. and it was captivating. I have read half of her other works and loved every single one of them, so I was looking forward to this specific release. 


The setting of Malibu from the 1950s to the 1980s was enthralling and magnificent. Reid transports you to this world which is also the setting of her other works Daisy Jones and the Six, Carrie Soto is Back, and the infamous The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Some of the characters show up in her other works, which is so fun and feels like an easter egg. 



Malibu Rising is a story of heartbreak, loss, love and family. We follow the Riva family as they navigate the world after the loss of their mother, June. The first half of the novel includes a past and present perspective of when in the past, Mick and June fall in love and then the timeline switches to the present to how the children of Mick and June are living. The Riva kids throw a huge party annually that hosts other famous people, and we see this party unfold throughout the entire novel. The Riva kids were born into the spotlight because of their father Mick, whom we see in other T.J.R. novels. He ends up marrying June and starts his career as a singer and performer. 


As the story progresses, the character relationships become stronger and some relationships get strained. This novel is very character heavy, and the plot is not very present. Reid includes a plethora of diverse characters that are very realistic. They are lovable yet you also hate their flaws. They are complex with their emotions, and although this novel is told in third person, the reader can truly empathize with her characters. 


In my opinion, Malibu Rising is my third favorite of her works thus far. I would rank the ones that I have read as so:


  1. Daisy Jones and the Six

  2. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

  3. Malibu Rising

  4. Maybe In Another Life

  5. After I Do


I am very excited to read Forever, Interrupted, One True Loves, and Carrie Soto is Back. I will read anything Taylor Jenkins Reid releases, even her grocery list. She is one of my favorite authors, and I cannot get enough of her storytelling. 


Overall, reading Malibu Rising was a treat, and I would highly recommend her works to anyone.

5 comments:

  1. This book has been in my reading list for so long but never get the chance to do it. I loved Daisy Jones and The Six so I have very high hopes but I also feel like it's gonna disappoint me after reading Daisy Jones, you know? I've heard that her books share the same universe and some characters make "cameos" that's why I want to read them all. Definitely, will. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Daisy and Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid and I fell in love with her stories and her unique way of telling them. I also love that she writes certain characters in different books and connects them. They all exist in the same universe! It's so cool. I have to read more by her ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems like an interesting concept! You're in the past and then you're in the future and you're seeing your kids...crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Always looking for new book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always looking for a new book to read and I love Taylor Jenkins Reid. I can't wait to read this book! Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete