Friday, May 17, 2024

Thee Artists to listen to in celebration of AAPI Heritage Month

 

AJ's Guide to the Best Asian Artists Lately...


As usual, I always focus my assignments on anything Asian American, so I combined my love for music and my community for my last blog post! I hope you give these artists a listen :) 

Laufey (Lay-Vay)


Laufey is a Chinese-Icelandic artist who recently won a Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album!  Perhaps her most popular song is "From the Start," which blew up on TikTok not too long ago. She is a classically trained singer who graduated from Berkeley School of Music. 

Song Suggestions: Promise, Let You Break My Heart Again & Magnolia 🌸

Tiffany Day :) 


Tiffany Day is a Chinese-American and one of my all-time favorite artists, and I made it to the top of my Spotify wrap last year! She was invited to perform at CSUF ASI's "Concert at the Becker" program in Spring 2023, where I had the opportunity to sing my heart out, do a meet and greet, and invite her to my wedding! :)) 

Song Suggestions: Calone, San Francisco Sidewalk & Spoiled B*tch

NIKI


If there was only one person I could listen to in my life, it would have to be NIKI! She is an Indonesian-born singer affiliated with 88rising Music Production Company. Her most popular song would probably be "Every Summertime" for the soundtrack of the Marvel Movie "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" She is coming out with a new album later this year, and I am already on the pre-sale queue for her concert tickets! That's how much I love her!

Song Suggestions: Indigo, Oceans and Engienes, Chilly 



Grent Perez


Grent Perez is a Filipino-Australian who is making waves in the music scene. Last year, I had the opportunity to attend his concert in LA with my partner and our friends. Saying he means a lot to my partner and me is an understatement! His lyricism and inclusion of Tagalog words make for the perfect ballad. 

Song Suggestions: My Heart It Beats for you (My favorite song by him), Op Shop Lover & Reason Why

 Beabadoobee


Beabadoobee is a Filipino-English Singer Song writer who blew up on tiktok for her song "Coffee", I'm not going to lie but I fell victim of doing a daily vlog on tiktok just to put her song on the background music. She is one of the people that I wish my parents would not discover, not because she's bad but because I'm scared that they will compare me to such an amazing woman. She definitely has brought the bar so much higher for people like me! 

Song suggestions: Perfect Pair, Glue Song & Take a bite

That's it for my last blog! It has been an honour to be a part of this blogging community and a privilege to be part of Professor Marie Loggia-Kee's class. I'm so glad that I chose COMM 344 as my last elective class requirement. It's bitter sweet to turn this in because Professor Marie has been my professor since my first semester in CSUF and now she is my last as well. I hope you all enjoyed my articles and have a great summer! 🌞

Best, 
Your favorite Asian American GirlyPop, 
AJ Yabut 















No comments:

Post a Comment