Saturday, November 26, 2011

5 things to remember to ensure your graduation

The 2011 fall semester is coming to an end and thus another semester less until you graduate from college. Class registrations should be finishing up, or finished by now and students are feeling that bit of laziness overcoming the few weeks before finals. This is the time when students should be making sure they’re on track to graduate on their expected date. The stress of finals will be too great and the relief of winter break will be too much of a distraction to have your mind set on school stuff. Figure it out before finals week!

Here is a list of thing CSUF students should think about before they find the shock of realizing that they are one class short or graduating.

1.) Make sure you’re on track.

Make sure that you have all of your classes planned until you’re last semester here at CSUF. I’m not saying that you need to have an exact list of classes you want to take and when. But just have a general idea. Know how many more units you need to graduate, know what requirements you still need to take and plan accordingly.

2.) Get your internship done.

Don’t make the same mistake I did. I’ve put off my internship until my last semester and now I’m stuck with the pressure of finding an internship and looking forward to add that with 12 units of collateral (I’ll talk more about collateral classes later). If I don’t get an internship, I’ll have to try to find one in the summer. GET IT DONE.

Collaterals: I’m a transfer student. I’m a Communications major concentrating in Journalism. Comm majors are required to complete collateral classes to complete the degree. These are a list of classes that are pretty much upper division classes that aren’t comm classes. You don’t have to complete them if you’re a double major or pick up a minor. It’s better to have that minor on your degree than nothing at all, you need to take extra classes anyways. My biggest mistake in college is not taking up a minor. Collaterals are a waste, comm majors.

3.) See a counselor.

You may think you know everything you have to do, and that you’re on the right track to graduate in four years. You’re not. Print out your Titan Degree Audit and have someone at your college look at it, it doesn’t take very long. These people know what to look for. It’s always good just to have a second set of eyes look at that nine-page-to-do list just in case you have missed something.

4.) EWP

Don’t know what that means? Better check your audit. The Examination in Writing Proficiency (EWP) is a writing test that all CSUF students are required to take in order to graduate. You need to reserve a spot on set EWP test dates. Don’t find yourself stuck without a seat on your last chance to take the test. It also cost $20.

Tip: Don’t write in all caps. You will fail.

5.) Register for Graduation!

If you’re a senior and you know if go to your portal online and register to graduate! Make sure you select the right graduation date and make sure you pay your graduation payment and diploma fee.

6 comments:

  1. It always surprises me how many students don't know what they have to do to graduate or wait last minute to complete everything. Good write up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips! I am graduating at the end of this semester and almost forgot to take the EWP. I thought it was something you could do at any time and got one of the last spots for the last test this semester. I also agree with you about collaterals, they are a waste. I'm a Comm. major as well and wish I would have taken a minor instead of a bunch of classes that I was barely interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips!! I have done all of them except my internship and now I'm pressured to find one by the end of the semester. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article!! You pretty much named the most important steps into ensuring graduation. I almost forgot about the EWP as well. Thanks for reminding me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great article very helpful for people who are nervous about getting everything done for graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! This definitely applies to a lot of people in our class, all I have to do is sign up for my commmunications internship. It's definitely a long process to get it done and graduate.

    ReplyDelete