Sunday, November 27, 2011

Drake "Take Care" Album Review


Back in the summer of 2009, I was Internet surfing and came across a song titled “The Winner”. I instantly became a Drake fan after those four and a half minutes. He had the lyricism, delivery, and swagger of a veteran. Fast forward two years later and Drake is at the top of the hip-hop world, already having a platinum debut album and countless hits under his belt. With “Take Care”, the 25-year-old Toronto native showcases a personal feel that very few artists can pull off.

“Over My Dead Body” kicks the album off with a piano-driven beat and chorus from Canadian singer Chantal Kreviazuk. On his second verse, Drake proclaims “Second album, I’m back paving the way/The backpackers are back on the bandwagon /Like this was my comeback season back, back in the day”. Drake’s confidence is undeniable on this track. “Take Care” is the album’s biggest mainstream offering and a future No.1 hit. Rihanna delivers a melodic chorus while Drake gives his take on the love game. His line “Pushing me away so I give her space/Dealing with a heart that I didn’t break,” exemplifies what the song is all abou

“Marvin’s Room/Buried Alive Interlude” is one of my favorite tracks from the album. Drake is reminiscing on past relationships while having a few drinks. He says, “The woman that I would try is happy with a good guy/But I’ve been drinking so much that Imma call her anyway”. An ode to drunk-dialing if I’ve ever heard one. On the interlude, Kendrick Lamar delivers a poetic take on the rappers’ encounter. This was the highlight of the album for me. On “Make Me Proud ”, Drake gives a nod to independent women everywhere. Nicki Minaj is featured on this song and absolutely lays it down. Her flow and delivery are something to be admired.

“Look What You’ve Done” is essentially an open letter to his mother, uncle and grandma. It is also one of the most open and honest looks into and artist’s past struggles that I can remember. When referencing to his father, Drake says “And my father living in Memphis now-he can’t come this way/Over some minor charges and child support that just wasn’t paid/Damn, boo-hoo, sad story, black American dad story”. On “The Motto”, Drake teams up with his mentor Lil Wayne to deliver a party anthem that is inspired by the Bay Area’s hyphy music scene. Lyrically, it's not the most awe-inspiring track in the world but it does make you just want to get up and move. The chorus sums it up, “You only live once: that’s the motto, YOLO”

Rating: 8/10

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I've never really listened to Drake besides his stuff on the radio, this definitely made me want to listen to more of his stuff.

    I also have a hard time looking past his part in Degrassi as Jimmy haha.

    ReplyDelete