Saturday, November 19, 2011

Fullerton Artwalk

Living Art


The first Friday of every month Jim and Ann Thacker showcase, view and discuss art.

No, the couple are not at a ritzy home in residential Fullerton, discussing art while sipping wine and tasting cheese with other hill dwellers. The two are the owners of Village Art Center, a custom framing business and gallery on Chapman and Harbor, and are part of a community event that brings art downtown.

Downtown Fullerton Art Walk takes place the First Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m. The monthly event features 26 art galleries, most of which are shops and restaurants that have been transformed from their day time gigs.

This is one of the great features of living Downtown. The town transforms from business and shopping to culture, art, and a downtown scene during the night.

Jim and Ann Thacker know it best, as they have owned a local business in the community of Fullerton for several years. According to Jim Thacker, Fullerton itself has undergone a transformation. In the 80's and 90's the town was run down and lacking a personality, but the renovation of Downtown is breathing life back into Fullerton.

The Thackers are working to help bring back Fullerton to its full potential.

Every small town or city should embrace the arts and follow Fullerton's example.

http://fullertonartwalk.com/

2 comments:

  1. I love the art walk! I've missed the last few ones, but when I went in October I really enjoyed it. I discovered a lot of cool, funky shops around Downtown that I hadn't known about through the art walk, and I got to see some really great pieces. This post is great; the history behind the event is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to whenever I can attend the Fullerton Art Walk. I enjoy the variety of art that is usually displayed, and have fun meeting new people. I'm not familiar with the Thacker showcase, but would like to check it out next time. Everyone who is involved in the Fullerton Art Walk seems to be very friendly, and it's a nice change from the typical crowd that is usually in Downtown Fullerton.

    ReplyDelete