Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Don't Get, Give

Each year, it seems that the only thing November 1st represents is the beginning of Christmas in retail. It is the start of a two-month brainwashing technique that works on every single one of us. The longer we are surrounded by Christmas decorations, Christmas music and Christmas treats, the more we will buy and buy and buy. There are two things wrong with this: one, we completely forget Thanksgiving, and two, we miss the meaning behind both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I really started to think about this over the last few years while working in retail. The holidays create more stress over time and money when they should be creating a time of thankfulness, a time with family and friends, a time of celebration, and a time of love. Last year, I decided not to take November and December for granted, I decided to remember how thankful I was for what I have, because so many people don't have the money to stress over, the family to worry about buying for, or the relationships to enjoy. I wanted to give back, and found numerous ways to do so. In the end I chose to go through my work.

As Voluntears at the Orange County Food Bank, we were asked to fill boxes with healthy food items for the local less fortunate single mothers, children, and seniors. As the morning began, we met Andre who introduced us the organization and gave us a background of what happens at the warehouse and to whom the boxes go. We then split into two self-lead groups. The leaders (who were informed by Andre of what to do) helped to delegate the positions of the assembly lines. We were given two hours to fill as many boxes as possible; in the end, both teams were quite successful.

While completing the simple physical task, there were several lessons learned. Teamwork, teamwork, teamwork was lesson number one. As I was filling each box with two cans of peas, I could not help but think about the amazing people I was surrounded by. When I missed a box, they reminded me; when someone else missed a box, I reminded them. The entire two hours were filled with singing, laughter, and hard work. Lesson number two was appreciating the work we were doing so that we did it wholeheartedly. Knowing where the boxes were going and how each of us could relate to the activity allowed us to put all of our greatest efforts into it so that we could create the best outcome possible.

Events like these remind me how blessed I am to even have the opportunity to participate in all the other aspects of my life. Instead of complaining about how tired I am because I have too much to do, or how much I just want to relax, I should be truly appreciating the fact that my life is not completely focused on how I am going to get my next meal, or how I will make rent. Above all else, I need to use my time wisely so that I can use what gifts and blessings I have been given to better the lives of those around me who are in need.

So this year, before I get too far into the hustle and bustle that I have come to know as Christmas, I will remember just why I get to hustle and bustle in the first place.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you are volunteering for a good cause, especially during the holidays and I agree that people lose sight of what thanksgiving and Christmas is all about. But also I don't think a lot of people even know what Christmas is all about period. For most, it's a stressful time that is spent charging money on credit cards for gifts you can't afford and air fare that is too expensive. After Halloween, I personally love when all the Christmas decorations come out and the holiday season begins. I most definitely do not forget about Thanksgiving just because there are o thanksgiving decorations littering the malls. November is just has special as December when it comes to the holiday spirit, but it is just important that people understand why they are celebrating these holidays to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Boy Scouts we had to volunteer as a requirment to advance in rank. That made it seem like such a chore. However when looking back on it I really did some good with it by helping our during Christmas time and Thanksgiving to families that really needed it by giving food or working those really big community wide Christmas festivals. I kind of miss that and I think I might take up volunteering again. Thanks for reminding me about how awesome it is to give back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's really cool that you participated in something like this.

    My high school had a similar event every year. I went to Sonora High in La Habra, and for the month of December the whole school would raise money for the annual Food Drive. It would even end up being a competition between the grade levels to make things interesting, but in the end it was all toward a common goal. On the first Saturday of Christmas break, the two teachers who ran the event would use all the money raised to go shopping and bring it all back to the school, and then the students would form groups and be in charge of one family who lived in the community. We would collect food and other necessities and fill five or six boxes, then deliver it directly to the houses. If they needed a Christmas tree or decorations, we would go out and get them that too. It was so much fun, but also really rewarding because the families were so grateful. It feels good to be able to help even one family have a spirited Christmas, let alone the hundreds the school as a whole would help.

    It was a lot of work, and we had to get up really early on a Saturday, which in high school was, of course, a huge deal for a teenager. But at the end of the day, the families would be so happy and grateful that you couldn't help but be happy as well. I think it's such a wonderful thing when people are willing to take this sort of time out to do this kind of thing. :)

    ReplyDelete