Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater

Forget about the diets, it’s time to eat! Cheat a little; live a little.

The holidays are right around the corner, and you know what that means, it’s time to indulge! So put down that fork filled with salad, and pick up that can of pumpkin.

Besides pumpkin pie, what can I make with a can of pumpkin? You might ask.

Well trust me, there are plenty of great pumpkin food recipes out there; but none like my mother’s famous pumpkin bread.

Anyone who has tried her delicious pumpkin bread looks forward to this time of year. Every year around October through December, anticipation grows amongst those who receive an annual loaf of her fall treat.

Her co-workers do not hesitate to ask, “have you had chance to make our pumpkin bread yet?”… Her answer usually, “not quite, I am hoping to get it done soon, ideally on a Sunday I have free.”… “Oh ok, you know I always look forward to your pumpkin bread,” they will say.

My mother is always in high demand to give out her pumpkin bread, not only between her co-workers, but her family (including me) as well. I will admit, I have no problem helping her bake these loaves, because that means batter tasting for me.

Honestly, I cannot think of a better time of the year. The weather gets cool and crisp, the holidays start rolling in, there are entertaining festivities to attend, cute decorations to put up, but most importantly, there is incredible food to devour.

I am a huge pumpkin eater myself, you can even call me a pumpkin carnivore; lattes, soups, pancakes, ice cream, beer, cupcakes, pie, scones, waffles, cake, butter, you name it, and if its got pumpkin, I will eat it. But none of this can quite compare to this spectacular pumpkin bread.

Below, I have included my mother’s pumpkin bread recipe for you to try out for yourself. Lucky you, I was able to pry it away from my mother’s clutched hands (ok, not really, but I thought it would be a funny visual). She is happy to share her recipe, and wishes you the best of luck in having this come out just right!

Pumpkin Bread

1 ½ cups sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. cloves

¼ tsp. ginger

½ tsp. nutmeg

1 ½ cups flour

½ cup nuts (we use pecans, but you can use the nut you prefer)

¼ tsp. baking powder

¾ tsp. salt

½ tsp. cinnamon

1 cup canned pumpkin

2 eggs

½ cup canola oil

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine: all dry ingredients; mix well. Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients, and add pumpkin, eggs, oil, vanilla and nuts. Using an electric hand mixer, mix well until all ingredients are combined. Pour batter (about half to ¾ full) into greased (with baking non-stick spray) loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours, or until a toothpick/knife comes out clean. Makes approximately 6 - 3 ½ x 6 in. loaves or 3 – 4 ½ x 8 ½ in. loaves.

If you are feeling really adventurous once you have tried this delightful pumpkin bread, you may want to wash it down with something sweet. I found a simple and easy recipe for a pumpkin smoothie on verybestbaking.com; so I thought I would share some more pumpkin love with everyone. You can never have too many sweets right?

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

1 can (15 oz.) 100% Pure Pumpkin, chilled

1 can (12 fl. oz.) Evaporated Fat Free Milk, chilled

1 cup crushed ice

2/3 cup (6-oz. container) vanilla light and nonfat yogurt

¼ cup granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Light whipped cream

Combine: pumpkin, evaporated milk, yogurt, sugar and pumpkin pie spice in blender; cover. Blend until mixture is smooth. If a thinner smoothie is desired, add water, a little at a time, until desired consistency is reached.

Top: with whipped cream; sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice. (Makes about 5 servings)

Note: For a richer and creamier version of this recipe, substitute evaporated low-fat 2% Milk or evaporated milk for the evaporated fat free milk.

I hope you share the love for pumpkin that I do. If not, maybe you can try these recipes out for fun. Who knows, maybe you will wind up a pumpkin eater too.

What a better time than the holidays to try out pumpkin recipes? Pumpkins are plentiful, so feel free to dish them up!

Bon appetit!

4 comments:

  1. YUM! My favorite part of Thanksgiving and Christmas is the cooking. It is so fun to hang out in the kitchen with all the women in the family. I get to hear their stories, listen to their wisdom about what to cook and how to cook it, and get some family time in too! I love to surround myself with the delicious smells and treats of the season, it only comes once a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me super hungry reading it!. Not only was it a great article it was super helpful. I may even send this to my grandma so she can add it to the Thanksgiving menu. I also loved how you started the article off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So me and the GF just tried making the pumpkin bread (since I'm a huge pumpkin fanatic) and it was delicious! Looks like I'll be making this come next holiday season. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey- So glad to hear you guys liked it and it came out well!!! Woo!! That makes me happy :)
    Drake- Thanks, and That is so cool! Hope it comes out well for you grandma :)
    Ashley- I agree, learning from the ladies in the family is the best! Love the holidays!

    ReplyDelete