Friday, November 18, 2011

"You don't smell like Santa!"

There are some holiday-themed movies that just never get old. This season just wouldn’t be the same without curling up on the couch with a blanket, a cup of hot cocoa, and a good Christmas film. There are many great films to choose from, but here are a few of my favorites:

5. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

Though the premise is, admittedly, rather sad, over the years this film has become a beloved tale of the value of friendship, family, and the joys of life – all things that are at the heart of the Christmas spirit.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

This one almost needs a category of its own, but my list feels incomplete without it. As it deals with two of my favorite holidays, Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas is a staple film in both October and December. Almost like a uniquely-twisted “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas,” Burton’s classic film about a skeleton who tries to be Santa brings laughter and joy every holiday season. And they sing!

3. Love Actually

If you love romance-themed holiday films, Love Actually is definitely the film for you. There are eight separate story lines that, somehow, all connect back to each other in the end. It’s sent against the backdrop of the Christmas season and is sure to warm your heart.

2. Elf (2003)

One of Will Ferrell’s best films, Elf provides a lot of laughs and a lot of good cheer. Ferrell plays a human raised by Santa’s elves, and he gets himself into a lot of hilarious Christmas antics – including calling out a mall Santa as a fake (“You smell like beef and cheese, you don’t smell like Santa!”). The film provides great music (Zooey Deschanel sings), and by the end you might believe in Santa, too – or, you’ll at least believe in Buddy the Elf.

1. A Christmas Story (1983)

The story of a young boy’s epic quest to get the perfect Christmas present – a Red Ryder BB gun – provides the plot for this classic film. With a combination of family hijinks, frozen tongues, and hilarious other antics, A Christmas Story is a memorable season flick.

8 comments:

  1. I love Elf! I think it is hilarious. There are so many one-liners in that movie and Zooey Deschanel makes it all the better. It's a Wonderful Life is just a classic. My parents bought it on DVD and we watched all the extra stuff and it was pretty interesting because they said the movie actually was kind of a failure at first. This is a great list and I know all these movies will be playing all over tv pretty soon. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really funny because I am pretty much the complete opposite from this list haha. I do like "It's a Wonderful" and "A Christmas Story," but I think they are just OK, I don't love them like most people seem to. I have never seen "Elf" because I hate Will Farrell with a passion, and I have never seen "A Nightmare Before Christmas" (although I would like to). But most of all, I hated "Love Actually" lol. The only part I thought was cute in that movie was the storyline between the little boy and girl, but other than that I hated it lol. I feel like I don't like a lot of movies that others tend to like. My favorite Christmas movies are "The Santa Clause," "Miracle on 34th Street," and "The Polar Express." But i sure love curling up on the couch with a nice hot drink and watching movies this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching Christmas movies they just put me right into that Christmas spirit. Glad to see there is another Christmas movie enthusiast out there. However, Home Alone and Christmas Vacation is missing from your list and they are probably the best Christmas movies out there. Nightmare before Christmas is a great movie but I like watching it during Halloween time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching Christmas movies definitely puts me in the Christmas spirit. I love watching The Nightmare Before Christmas because it reminds me of my childhood and all the amazing Christmas's we've had. I agree with Drake, Home Alone is one of the best Christmas movies ever and I can quote that movie like no other. It's definitely a classic and I watch it every year with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas movies always have perfect endings to them. Thats probably why i prefer them over action movies where the hero and "the girl" is always the survivors and everyone else dies! So while that happens, Christmas movies are more family oriented. One of my favorites is the Grinch. ABSOLUTELY love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christmas movies are so awesome!! They always put me in a good mood, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Elf" are two of my favorites as well. It's a bit embarrassing to admit but I love "Jingle All The Way". Arnold Schwarzenegger running around for a toy? Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome list of movies! A few other movies I like to have on the list for the holidays are Home Alone 1 & 2, and The Holiday.A Christmas Story is definitely a classic and should be seen by everyone! Also, one that I have always enjoyed watching for whatever odd reason is Jingle All The Way with Arnold Schwarzenegger haha

    Nice quick and interesting read. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You list is perfect! Those are all such great movies and really make the holiday season. Elf is one of my favorite movies. There are so many one liners and saying you can use all year all. I feel like it's a movie that will eventually turn into a classic like the older "A Christmas Story" and "It's a Wonderful Life". The only other holiday movie I can think of that I enjoy is "Bad Santa." Although that one is not really kid friendly.

    ReplyDelete