Tuesday, November 21, 2023

An Arcade Full of Cats

 

After looking for 30 minutes for a new game to end my day, I stumbled upon this game called “An Arcade Full of Cats.” I thought, okay, maybe it’s a game about old arcade games that are cat-inspired. 


I downloaded it and opened the game, and what first appeared were two cats in a car with a tiny screen in the middle, allowing you to click on different years. The goal of the game is to find five batteries to help the cats in the car get back home (to the present). With that in mind, I clicked on the year 1980 and was transported to an arcade that had games of that year. 


I looked around and started to observe that there were many cats in the arcade. I started clicking on each one of them and then realized that this is one of the games where you have to search for all missing objects, but instead, you have to find all the cats. 


With the top left corner telling me the amount I needed to find, I searched through the whole arcade, looking for the cats. The game does give you hints in the form of a magnifying glass, but once you use it, you have to wait a few minutes to use it again.


It was cool to see many references to many old games of that year. Some games include “Pac-Man,” in which the game had “Cat-Man” for obvious reasons. Other arcade years showed references to other games, like in the year 1990, you can see the Master Sword from “The Legend of Zelda” games.


You can also play one of the arcade games if you find a cat coin. Once you find the coin, you click on the arcade game with the static screen, and it takes you to another screen where you also have certain objects. Completing these will give you the batteries you need to help the cats return to their time. 


After playing through some of the years, I decided to stop playing and look into the developers of these games. 


The game was released on Nov. 16 by Devcats, which is a game studio run by six rescued cats!!


The main goal of the game studio is to make cat-inspired games and let people know that you should adopt and not shop. 


The developers have also created games similar to this, like “A Building Full of Cats” and “A Castle Full of Cats.” These games range from $2-$3. 


The “An Arcade Full of Cats” is currently free on Steam. However, if you decide to play any other games from the developers, you can buy them on Steam, the Nintendo Switch store, and GOG.com. You can also buy the DLC for these games, which gives you more cats to find. 


I recommend those who enjoy games looking for objects and cats to give this game a try.

3 comments:

  1. I first thought of another cat game I've seen on Steam: Stray. Cats are such a good draw in to any game, I want to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I miss the whole arcade generation of games and play simulators of MEGA man or simulated space invaders on the internet. Really fun activity to do on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything about cats I'm all in. It actually sounds like a fun concept and the story behind the developers just makes me want to try it out more.

    ReplyDelete