Friday, November 17, 2023

Beginning Your Workout Journey

 As the year comes to an end many people's goal for 2024 is to start going to the gym or to workout more. Although many people tend to hold back on that just because they feel judged or uncomfortable down below are 3 things you can do to start your workout journey: 

  1. Cardio

Cardio exercise helps improve endurance, stamina, and overall health. Engaging in activities like running, jump rope, or stairmaster increases the heart rate, strengthens the heart muscle, and enhances the body's ability to deliver oxygen to the muscles. This improves performance during prolonged physical activities and helps individuals recover faster between intense workouts. Cardio also maintains a healthy body weight and reduces the risk of various health conditions. 




  1. Strength Training 

When it comes to strength training this can be done differently depending on your goal. If you would like to train as an athlete the focus is often on heavy weights and low reps. This type of training, known as high-intensity training, helps build maximum strength and power. Lifting heavier weights with fewer repetitions targets the fast-twitch muscle fibers, which are responsible for explosive movements. Push your limits and progressively increase the weight to continually challenge your muscles and improve your overall strength. Exercises that can be done in strength training would be hip thrusts, hex-bar squats, and 

power cleans.

 

  1. Pilates 

Many gyms and fitness studios offer Pilates classes led by certified instructors. These classes can be a great way to learn proper techniques and receive guidance as you progress. You can check out local fitness centers or search online for Pilates classes near you. Pilates is a form of exercise that focuses on core strength, flexibility, and overall body control. It can help improve your posture, balance, and muscular endurance. This is a great way to switch up your routine and add some variety to your workouts.



6 comments:

  1. I’ve been thinking of going back to the gym, but I’m still trying to figure out where to start. I used to do a lot of cardio when I went to the gym, but I realized that lifting weights can also help you lose weight. I’ve also heard a lot about Pilates but never really understood what parts of the body they focus on, so you’re explanation really helped me understand. After reading this, I think I have an idea of what I might focus on when I start going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brianna! You are urging for me to get back in the gym and I am listening! I need to get back to just working out in general as I feel that it helps you stay healthy both physically and mentally. I've read about the many positives of what gymming does to your mind so I will be back in the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great introduction to fitness, getting ahead of the new year and starting now. I've been lifting for a few years now but just got into yoga not too long ago and I love it. I plan on working my way into Pilates in the near future. Great way to keep the momentum up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great options to stay active! I used to do a lot of strength training, but found Pilates to be better for me. I am going to try working out more for 2024 and this definitely motivated me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like you read my mind! I really want to get into the gym next year, but I always find myself feeling intimidated. These all seem like really great options for someone just getting started. I have always been interested in pilates, so maybe I will start there. It's nice to know there are supportive individuals in the gym community!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brianna, your article is so interesting and informative! As someone who goes to the gym often I sometimes find myself wondering, 'what do I do next? Am I doing the right thing? Let me look up this workout on my phone to see what is right for me." I find cardio to be so tiring but still manage to get some in my workout session!

    ReplyDelete