Thursday, November 2, 2023

Cook With A Loved One!

    For as long as I can remember, I have vivid memories of watching my dad cook because he would cook with so much passion and care. I recently decided to join him in cooking his favorite meal, Hainan chicken. It taught me much more about my dad and was a great experience overall.

  I approached my dad to help me with a school paper by having him cook his favorite dish while I jotted down notes, but I thought it would've been more fun if I joined him in the process. He was pleasantly surprised that I wanted to learn how to make the dish and that I wanted to cook with him. 

   Having a busy schedule made me realize it had been a while since my dad and I had some quality time together, and what better way than enjoying a home-cooked meal? It put me in a place where I realized that you must prioritize quality time with your loved ones. Don't take your relationship with your father or mother for granted. For me, my dad is still young, but so much changes when you become an adult, so take that time to be a kid with your parents and continue to make memories. 

  It was a rewarding experience because my dad seemed so happy to be teaching me something that he loves, too. My dad is proud to see me taking pride in our culture and taking pride in a dish that my grandpa taught him. It felt like he was passing the torch of the dish to me, from my grandpa to my dad, and now to me. 

    The actual cooking process was excellent. There were some moments where we butted heads on something, like whether it was too much garlic or not enough sauce, but it was all in good fun. We are both stubborn people, but we approached with love and cherishing the time together. 

    While cooking, I learned more about my dad, like stories about his childhood or how he's changed the recipe. It was a process that we were going through together, so it made it easier for us to bond over things. I can't remember the last time I was able to connect to my dad emotionally like that, so it was nice to talk about things in life without judgment or fear. 

    I urge you to cook with a loved one or do an activity where you can bond with a loved one because you don't know when the next opportunity will present itself. Make memories and make something delicious. 

3 comments:

  1. Reading your blog made me smile. I love how cooking with your Dad wasn't about the actual cooking, but served as a bonding moment and lesson in spending time with loved ones. It's sad how busy schedules can make you forget how special moments like these are. It sounds like this meant so much to your Dad and I think it was a great moment to pass along to others in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. I agree to value and enjoy the moments you have with your loved ones. Cooking with your dad seemed like a special moment with him and in a way catching up with one another. As I've gotten older my family is on different schedules but we alway try to go get dinner together to spend quality time with one another which I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this post a lot. Most of the time, I come home from school so late that I don’t get to see my mom before she goes to work. I also asked my mom to help figure out a recipe for this class, but the recipe was too short. Even though I ended up going with a different recipe, I enjoyed spending that time with my mom. After that assignment and reading this, it kind of motivates me to figure out a way I can spend more time with my mom.

    ReplyDelete