Thursday, November 16, 2023

Lorde's Pure Heroine Album's Best Songs

 Lorde’s 2013 debut album, Pure Heroine, is the perfect album to pull out just in time for colder weather. Although this album came out while I was still in middle school, and is nothing like any other album I enjoy, it remains one of my favorites. Lorde’s take on vanity and success hum underneath bigger themes of nostalgia, maturity, and boredom of society’s teens. This album continues to amaze me with it’s moody bass and almost ethereal vocals. Ten years later, I am still able to listen to the album start to finish without skipping any songs. 

                                                       

Out of all of the songs on the album, three stick out to me the most. My third favorite would have to be the fifth tract on the album, “Buzzcut Season.” This song is in my top three because other than the interpretive lyrics, Lorde’s musical ability is incredible. This song, in my opinion, comments on the chaos in the world and how she navigates through that chaos in her youth. The songs hints at themes of refuge and escape. Buzzcut Season’s simple melody with piano and drums make the song dramatic, yet still deep and lets the listener interpret the song for themselves. 


My second favori†e song on the album is the last track, “A World Alone.” Being the last song on the album, it brings everything perfectly to a close. This songs makes the album come full circle. The themes of this song are acceptance and observation. In the lyrics, she realizes that the people she surrounds herself aren’t as true as she once thought. She explains that this once new and exciting fame isn’t all it was made up to be, and she still is just “dancing in this world alone.” Although the lyrics seem sad and cold, the tone of the song is uplifting, almost as if it is a relief that the singer has come to this realization. 

                                                   

Out of all ten songs on this album, my favorite is the fourth track, “Ribs.” Ribs, although not the most “underground” song on the album, will forever be my favorite. This song fuels the notion of nostalgia and longing for the singer’s youth. The locals and instrumental background of this song are flawless and continue to make me feel what Lorde was feeling as she wrote it. As the song progresses it gets more intense as if all of her feelings are pouring out into the song. Ribs illustrates the feelings of coming-of-age and the dream-like state people often feel while transitioning into adulthood. 


Overall, Lorde’s entire Pure Heroine, album offers magnificent vocals and a combination of ethereal instruments. After relistening to this album every fall season, I seem to reflect on the themes and ideas that I once didn’t understand when the album was released.

4 comments:

  1. I saw Lorde at her USC concert and it was amazing to see her perform songs from Pure Heroine! I agree that it brings so much nostalgia. Ribs is my favorite song from the album and hearing it live was a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge Lorde fan, especially Pure Heroine! I follow her email newsletter and September was PH's 10th anniversary, so she talked a little about writing it. Crazy to see all the photos she attached from when she wrote the album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these songs are the soundtrack to my middle school and high school years! I saw Lorde at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago and it was surreal seeing the artist who played such a big part in my life as I tried to navigate through my teen years. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's insane that Lorde was only 16 when she released Pure Heroine. Her lyricism is unmatched. I think I would rank my top three exactly the same as you! A World Alone is definitely underrated and the perfect outro.

    ReplyDelete