Wednesday, November 1, 2023

An open letter: For Those Struggling with Mental Health

                                                                     An open letter:

    For Those Struggling with Mental Health

 

This might not be the ideal blog topic in general or specifically for this class but heck, what can it hurt? With fair warning, there might be some things that could be considered triggering. If you think the topic of mental illness and its many insidious characteristics, I ask you to stop reading here. For those who wish to continue, I thank you for your kindness and consideration. I also ask the readers not to be concerned with my well-being. I’ve seen hell once before and it’s not a place I’m going back to. 

 

Mental illness comes in all forms, in its less severe form it is unnoticeable, some might just consider it normal stress. In more severe cases without treatment, it can destroy lives; the loss of relationships, friendships, careers, and even life itself. When I sat down to write this piece, I had no idea where I was going to go with it. I don’t want it to feel manufactured or generic, rather I want it to be genuine and impactful. 

 

I’m writing this during a dark time, I’m deep in my thoughts, questioning everything, trying to find meaning.

 

What I’ve realized and what I want people to know is that there are ups and downs, sometimes the 

ups are short and the downs are longer but there is always a reason to continue. 

 

I’d like to leave you with a story of triumph and survival. 

 

When I said I was through hell and back I meant it, many years ago I experienced an overdose, which caused me to enter a mental psychosis that lasted for years. My symptoms did not allow me to sleep, not your common insomnia but the debilitating kind. At the time, I wanted to end it all. At the time I was running a business that brought in a revenue of over 2 million and moved in with a partner who was physically abusive. I was young and overwhelmed. I didn’t want to continue; I wanted the pain to end, but seeking help changed my life. I still recommend talking with family and friends, even religious figures - seek refuge in whoever you can.

 

My advice to you and it may sound cliché, seek help, I beg you, see a professional, it will change your life and even save it. There is no shame in seeing a doctor or taking medication, shame is not trying.


With lots of love, 

Javi

No comments:

Post a Comment